Monday, November 20, 2006

ATENE STAYS GOLD


A FINE ACQUAINTANCE in California brought the original Atene video to my attention.

NOW HE HAS RETURNED, and I am as awed as the rest of the internet.

I FRANKLY would not have the courage, and THERE ARE SOME TERRIBLE VIDEOS OF MY YOUTH OUT THERE, believe me.

THE 12th BIRTHDAY PARTY TAPE is missing. THE HIGH SCHOOL CENSORSHIP EPISODE OF "RAP-AROUND" WITH TOM BERGERON is OUT THERE and could surface at any time.

WOULD I HAVE THE COURAGE TO ATENE-LY CONFRONT MY PAST ON THE INTERNET?

Probably: no.

That is all.

5 comments:

Kelly Hills said...

Tease, going and posting links to stories we can't actually read!

Unknown said...

god bless brian atene.

i am standing up and doing the slow clap.

one word for this video. and that word is awesome.

Serenaded Hourly said...

I know I'm not alone in waiting breathlessly for ANY proof that you were ever an adolescent or 20-year old. (Especially the Rap Around thing, hint hint, wizards of the Internet and/or master control operators.) I don't know if it takes courage to face your edited, grainy past as much as it takes humility, if Atene is any example.

I've been trying to work "I AIN'T EVAH GONNA WALK A-GAIN. NOT EVEN WITH CRUTCHAS!" into this comment, but I just can't make it happen.

Annje said...

All I can say is that my favorite photo of you from your PAST is the one in black and white of you gesturing toward the camera with your glasses askew. It's not easy facing the past but I have faith that you sir could do it fabulously!

Liza said...

I agree with Annje that the glasses askew photo is very cute indeed, but I also like one that I suppose comes from a similar epoch for the transom.org interview

I posted a few links to the John Hodgman Wikipedia entry a long time ago and it includes some early pictures, all of them rather cute and precocious, so I don't know if they count as reaching Atene-esque heights (see "In the Media"). From those, I really like the Mirror Project one.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
^_^ Liza