Thursday, March 01, 2007

POLLACK v. BROOKS


nealbaby
Originally uploaded by sugarfreak.
I REGRET I am so late in noting Neal Pollack's thoughtful reply to David Brooks's unthoughtful rant-yelled-from-porch-at-passing-teenagers of last Sunday's New York Times.

BETWEEN NEAL AND STEVEN JOHNSON, I think the discrediting of Brooks's book-cover-judgment and unprovoked attack upon Neal's son's unpretentious name is complete, so I will add no further comment other than to ask...

DID DAVID BROOKS ACTUALLY USE THE TERM "jump the shark?" I am afraid to go back and look, for fear it will cause my eyes to burn up in their sockets and 1000 stars across the galaxy to instantly collapse.

AND THAT IS NOT HOW I WANT TO SPEND MY DAY

(Courtesy, once again, to Sugarfreak for the still-haunting image of nealbaby.)

That is all.

5 comments:

Jesse Thorn said...

Jumping the Shark jumped the shark long ago.

Neal on The Sound of Young America last week.

Unknown said...

Jumping the Shark jumped the shark long ago.

I almost said that, but self-referential irony jumped the shark a while back.

Unknown said...

I'll never watch newshour the same again.
In unrelated news, this article is of little use to me in Florida, but quite instructional nonetheless.

Unknown said...

Hmm....

Thomas Burchfield said...

Dear John Hodgman: I am unable to read the David Brooks piece in the New Yorker Times for the following reason:

I) Reading the David Brooks piece in the New Yorker Times requires a subscription to the New Yorker Times Select feature, which I cannot do for the following sub-reason:

A. It costs money. I cannot pay money to subscribe to the New Yorker Times Select Seature to read the piece by David Brooks because of the following sub-sub reasoning.

1. My wife will divorce me. I cannot allow my wife to divorce me for paying money to subscribe to the New Yorker Times Select Feature to read the piece by David Brooks for the following sub-sub-sub reason.

b. If I allow my wife to divorce me for paying money to subscribe to the New Yorker Times Select Feature to read the piece by david Brooks . . . .