Thursday, March 22, 2007

WHAT YOU HAVE HERE IS BASICALLY A DOODLE DOG

WHAT YOU HAVE HERE is basically a classic "pig-in-a-blanket" from the Yankee Doodle Diner of New Haven, CT...

(WHICH IS A HOT DOG, stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon, and fried--a complete redefinition of the term "pig-in-a-blanket" down to every word and hyphen)...

...THAT HAS THEN BEEN DEEP FRIED.


COURTESY: the mad geniuses at the Seattle Stranger (thank you, Dan Savage) and to good ole LOOKA! for the alert.

I ADMIRE THIS KIND OF THINKING, and indeed I indulged in it myself once, long ago. Which got me to thinking: why didn't my invention, the deep-fried White Castle burger, having premiered in Men's Journal, A NATIONAL MAGAZINE, in August 2003, ever catch on?

IMAGINE MY HEARTSTOPPING, DEEP FRIED SURPRISE when I learned that AS OF JUST TWO DAYS AGO, it finally had.

LOOK: I don't wish to take away from the accomplishments of "the [non-mad] geniuses of the independent league's Gateway Grizzlies."

FOR STRANGER COINCIDENCES OF INSPIRATION have happened many times before. And it's probably likely the idea of deep frying a White Castle was dreamed long before my time here: frankly, the idea was inevitable.

STILL, I NOW UNDERSTAND, IN A SMALL WAY, THE PAIN of the man who invented the deep fried twinkie, only to watch the credit be assigned to countless state fair deep-fry technicians around the country.

BUT MAINLY: I am just glad the idea is out there.

Finally....

That is all.

7 comments:

Wincey said...

As Victor Hugo said, "There is nothing so powerful as an idea whose time has come." Still, I think every bag of deep-fried sliders should come with the appropriate cite. And the number of the closest cardiac care unit.

Will said...

Sir, all I can say by way of comfort is that history is often cruel to those men who are blamed for our greatest innovations. Think of yourself, perhaps, as Roger Merkin, gardener to Robert Oppenheimer, who taught the great scientist everything he knew about fission and fusion and azaleas. Merkin avoided the limelight, and thus avoided Oppenheimer's grim destiny of 3 AM phone calls from blame-filled subterranean radioactive peoples, or BFSRPs (pronounced just like it looks). My feeling is that history will stand in harsh judgment of the deep-fried slider. But not for very long, because history will be recovering from yet another food-induced heart attack.

Unknown said...

Behold deep-fried oreos. No, I did not eat them all. If I had, I would not be here to write this.

hobogirl1 said...

Since we are on the topic of food, would anyone be concerned about this McDonalds? I did find a pizza box awhile back that concerned Dr Know here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hobogirl1/430678951/

that is all. for now.

Unknown said...

Where were you 4 years ago before my gastric bypass surgery? Although these delights are no longer part of my diet, I would love to split one of the White Castle's with someone. Road trip anyone?

juniper pearl said...

that. is. so. incredibly. disgusting.

RRRREEEEETTTTTCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHH

i believe that, as there is a dated record of your introduction of the white castle idea, you can demand credit on the grounds of it being your intellectual property, or some such thing. but that means that the trail would also lead back to you when white castle patrons who had indulged in the deep-fried tasties were looking for someone to sue for the cost of their quadruple bypasses.

Babbington said...

These are fine examples of what I call "The Deep-Fry Rule". Basically, any foodstuff can be made edible or more enticing by the liberal application of batter followed by immersion in hot-oil.

Clams? Digusting. Fried Clams? Yummy. (like chewy french fries)