Monday, July 10, 2006

I am Christian Finnegan's Friend

The statement that I am Christian Finnegan's friend is accurate.

We used to work together at the literary agency. One day he told me: "I will be a star of comedy."

I considered him to be a pitiable deluded person. He was on the fast-track to assistant literary agenting!

If he wanted, he could literally make THOUSANDS of dollars a year, plus enjoy access to all the steno pads and Star Trek anthologies and Uncle John's Bathroom Readers he could want (the agency was the first place I encountered this important resource).

But he could not be swayed. He chose his own path, and where did it lead him? Mere success.

I think the lesson of this story is obvious.

That is all.

5 comments:

Annje said...

The moral of the story is to get a job as a literary agent and you become famous! Right?!?!

hodg-man said...

The moral of the story is never listen to my advice.

Jim Donahue said...

He's a funny guy, indeed. Always makes me laugh on "Best Week Ever." (Paul F. Thompkins is great on that show, too.)

hbomb said...

My favorite Finnegan appearance was on the Dave Chappelle show. He played the white guy on a send-up of The Real World; he had to share a house that was full of insane black people (the joke being that there is usually one black person on the Real World, and that the one black person is crazy). Good stuff.

Heidi on Vashon said...

I sense no bitterness there, simply a humble nod. Nice to plant tongue in cheek and give props. -hw