Tuesday, January 09, 2007

SEE ALL MY REVIEWS

POLLACK'S BOOK IS FOR SALE

HERE is what I said about it on the internet. Every word is true.

BEGIN QUOTED TEXT:

NEAL'S FINEST, January 9, 2007
Reviewer: John Hodgman - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Long before he secured actual, competent representation, I briefly served as Neal Pollack's professional literary agent. Therefore, my opinion may be somewhat biased, in the sense that I feel for him the same kind of weary I felt for all of my old bloodsucking clients, the ones who kept bothering me all day with their money troubles while I was trying to drink brandy and play minesweeper (that means you, Bruce Campbell!)

But I will confess that ALTERNADAD was a complete and happy surprise to me--hilarious, as all Neal's work is, but heartfelt and true. This book is fully deblustered of the old "Neal Pollack, Greatest Living Writer" persona of his seminal early work, replaced instead by an even older "Neal Pollack" going back to his days at the "Chicago Reader:" the just-plain-good-writer full of caustic wit and human sympathy.

This is a story that documents a new kind of hipster parental mood in some respects, but it is really a much simpler story about a man who loves his wife and son. Neal's ability to say just that puts paid to any rumor that he was ever merely a 90's era irony-drenched ha ha man, and makes ALTERNADAD the best third-book debut I've ever read.

END QUOTED TEXT

That is all.

2 comments:

derek said...

Speaking of Bruce Campbell . . .

Anonymous said...

I am confused. According to your Amazon badge, your "REAL NAMEtm" is John Hodgman. Yet you do lack the badge indicating you are the "THE" John Hodgman.

Who are you, and where is my favorite author of true fake trivia?

Matthew Gehrett
REAL NAMEtm