Tuesday, April 24, 2007

HOW INCREDIBLY CHILLING AND INCREDIBLY DORKY IT WAS AT THE SAME TIME

MIKE DAISEY'S REPORT on his conversation with the man who tried to vince the INVINCIBLE SUMMER begins this way...

"It has been an intense few days, and I would like to thank the thousands of people who have sent me emails, which have been overwhelmingly positive and supportive. They've come from everywhere, and in an age when we often seem terribly divided, especially in this country, it really means a great deal. Though now I will be answering email well into 2010, things could be much worse--when you let something explosive loose on the internet you can never predict how it will all go down. As of now I'm glad that I posted the video. I think it captures what it was really like in that theatre, and how incredibly chilling and incredibly dorky it was at the same time."

...AND CONTINUES here.

MEANWHILE, GEOFF EDGERS, ace reporter for the Boston Globe and, via coincidence and age-old Brookline conspiracy, AN OLD HIGH SCHOOL CHUM OF THIS WRITER, has also spoken to representatives of Norco High School.

I WILL NOW STOP MY MEDDLING, but to say:

THAT IS ALL.

3 comments:

Sasquatchua said...

Thanks for posting that follow-up - I was definitely wondering how long the supervisors of this group could manage to stay out of the spotlight.

I'm sorry to say that the phone call Mike Daisey describes lived up to my preconceived notions of the attitudes of the kind of person who could stand up and do something like this in front of a crowd. I take no pleasure in realizing that this story has bolstered my distaste for the anti-liberal, who sees freedom of thought and expression as something to be feared and attacked. Especially considering that logically I know that the only people who make the news are the troublemakers, compared to the millions who are not bothering anyone at all.

monogirl said...

What's becoming more interesting as time goes on is that we are hearing rebuttals from the adults in the group and their personal responses to the show. The adult chaperones were the ones who felt the performance was inappropriate and encouraged the students to leave. Which, to be fair, is a chaperone's job, even if they should have done a bit more research on the show.
I would love to hear what the students have to say on this matter. How do they feel about an adult physically attacking an artist's work? Were they enjoying themselves? Did they want to stay and see the end of the show?

Mike Daisey said...

I have heard from five students so far, all of whom apologized on behalf of the group, said they were enjoying the show thoroughly and wished they could have stayed.

For the record, I have not heard from the principal or anyone inside of the Norco administration, other than those I hunted down myself after the incident. The students are much classier than their teachers and chaperones.

I almost don't want to hear from anyone else about it at this point, as I am heartily sick of the whole thing, but it is very nice to hear from the students, who are a bresh of fresh air in the midst of all this crap.