Friday, December 07, 2007

AIGA AUCTION THIS SUNDAY, PLUS "POTTS"


SURELY SOME OF YOU HAVE WONDERED, who is the super-genius who designed not only the interior, but also the exterior, of your book, THE AREAS OF MY EXPERTISE?

WELL, YOU CAN UPDATE THAT WIKIPEDIA page, for the answer is:

The renowned graphic artist SAM POTTS.

MOST OF YOU know him from The Brooklyn Superhero Supply Co., in the superhero supply district of Brooklyn, where Sam designed not only the awning but ALL of the original product labels, including BREATHABLE WATER and APPREHENDED BLOB.

SOME OF YOU may even recall Sam from his genial money-taking days at the front of the house at the old Little Gray Book lectures (which will not return this year, but maybe next).

I PERSONALLY recall him from Mr. Koestenbaum's Photo 1 class.

NOW HERE'S the new thing Sam has got me into:

THIS SUNDAY EVENING, at the big AIGA/NY dance party/annual ball, Sam and I will be auctioning off BEAUTIFUL ITEMS OF SIGNIFICANCE.


$20-35 (DEPENDING) gets you the CHANCE to bid on...

!: 2 REJECTED BOOK JACKETS BY CHIP KIDD!

!: A TOUR OF THE PHILIP JOHNSON GLASS HOUSE

!?: A MYSTERIOUS BOX OF MYSTERIES

...among other fascinating artifacts of functional design...

PLUS: the CERTAINTY of dancing and drinking wine in a beautiful room!

ALL PROCEEDS benefit the AIGA, which I am guessing stands for the American Institute of Graphic Artists*, a professional organization which I believe buys nutritious fonts for needy graphic designers**.

ALL DETAILS of the event may be found here.

Perhaps I will see you there?

That is all.

(IMAGE COURTESY: Anne Helmond)

(*I WAS RIGHT! Good symbolic information management in action!)

(**I WAS WRONG!)

7 comments:

ramona said...

I've long wished for the AIGA to supply me with nutritious TYPEFACES... alas, I am left to devour that hideous thing called Comic Sans.

Word to your mother -- while you're hobnobbing with the rock star designers, don't go shouting about "fonts." Call them "typefaces" or perhaps "type" or maybe even just "faces." They'll appreciate it, and, better yet, won't snicker about you behind your back (much).

ramona said...

ps: just for fun, tell Chip Kidd you think all super heroes are ninnies.

ramona said...

pps: Sam Potts may have the best website I've ever seen. Please tell him so.

Wincey said...

Next time you're in Ann Arbor, please do consider stopping by the Monster Store, which does not have the snappy graphic design of the Superhero Store, to be sure -- but is just chock full o' heart, and we loves ya just the same.

Anne Helmond said...

Wikipedia has been updated.

stephanie said...

I am in posession of an "Alternate Dimension" purchased at Brooklyn Superhero Supply. I am saving it for an emergency, such as zombie attack or global warming. Thankfully, I have not yet had to break the seal.

Spamthology (Editors) said...

Hello from Boston. I'm writing on behalf of 826's Greater Boston Bigfoot Research Institute. If you could, please get in touch - I searched for a direct email to no avail, sorry for the odd use of blog-commenting!

Ben Sisto
ben.sisto@gmail.com